Verdict on national medical entrance test on July 2
The verdict on petitions challenging the validity of the National Eligibility and Entrance Test (NEET), conducted by the Medical Council of India for admissions to MBBS/postgraduate/dental courses, will be pronounced soon after the Supreme Court reopens after summer vacation. On Friday, senior counsel K.K. Venugopal submitted before a three-judge Bench that private colleges which had been permitted to conduct their own entrance examinations be allowed to make admissions in the meantime. But Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir said, “You wait till July 2.”
By an interim order in December last, the court permitted all private colleges/associations to conduct their entrance tests but said they should not declare the results. As per the regulations announced, the MCI conducted the NEET for admissions for 2013-14 even as the case was pending consideration.
In this batch of cases, the MCI said the NEET would avoid multiple tests and minimise corruption and irregularities in admissions. But private unaided colleges, religious and linguistic minorities alleged that the NEET interfered with their autonomy and right to admit students by conducting their own entrance tests without compromising on merit.
Last December, the Supreme Court permitted all private colleges to conduct their entrance tests.