Liver Imaging Reporting and Data System
The Liver Imaging Reporting and Data System (LI-RADS) was created to standardize the reporting and data collection of CT and MR imaging for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). This method of categorizing liver findings for patients with cirrhosis or other risk factors for developing HCC allows the radiology community to:
- Apply consistent terminology
- Reduce imaging interpretation variability and errors
- Enhance communication with referring clinicians
- Facilitate quality assurance and research
click image to view full size
LI-RADS v2013.1 includes several modifications and enhancements to the previous version. These include:
- Unification of LI-RADS and UNOS OPTN categorization.
- Capsule appearance has been incorporated as a major feature of HCC whereas previously it was considered an ancillary feature of HCC.
- Definition of growth has been updated.
- As a result of the above changes, LR 5 and OPTN 5 categories are now congruent and UNOS defers OPTN 1-4 categories to LR 1-4.
- Change from list format to algorithmic format for assignment of LI-RADS category codes.
- Expansion of the LI-RADS lexicon of terms.
- Incorporation of a comprehensive atlas that illustrates major and ancillary imaging features, as well as key lexicon terms.
- Incorporation of management implications for each LR category.
- Incorporation of CT and MRI technical requirements.